Monday, April 20, 2009

Just Call me Becky Home Ec-ky

In order to sweeten Mr Oh up to the idea of a pantry challenge, I baked cupcakes on Friday night. (A box of Betty Crocker mix was on sale for 0.84 over Easter weekend.) It was all well and good until I realized I didn't have any frosting or icing.

No fear, I'll google a recipe and make it!



Quick and Easy Powdered Sugar Icing

2 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons milk

Mix the powdered sugar with the vanilla and milk. Then add more milk a bit at a time until it is thin enough to drizzle over a cake. Once you've iced your cake, it's best to let it stand for one or two hours.




But, wait! I didn't have powdered sugar on hand. So what is a girl to do in the midst of a pantry challenge?

Turn to her handy dandy Magic Bullet,
and watch ordinary sugar
turn into powdered sugar.
I made seven cupcakes and used the rest of the batter for a small cake that I put in the freezer. The sugar didn't quite powderize (I'm sure that's a real term...) fully, so the icing was a little gritty, but I'm still pleased with how cute the cupcakes looked on my stand:


4 comments:

LadyConcierge said...

That looks like 8 cupcakes to me...

I like the wine guy on the left!

mrs oh said...

haha, you're right, it is eight! i was planning on seven, then decided eight would be better since there would potentially be four people eating them...

Patrick said...

looks like silver spray paint to me - I assume it didn't taste like that

lauren said...

the bullet is sooooo useful !