Thursday, April 2, 2009

Mexican Skillet Price Per Meal

Last night, Mr Oh and I (okay...mostly him), made a skillet full of Mexican goodness. It's sort of an enhanced version of my mom's goulash (which consists of macaroni noodles, condensed tomato soup, and ground beef - that's IT!). A few weeks ago I attempted to follow a recipe for Mexican Monday, but due to the fact that I tried to basically double the recipe when I was a little short on some ingredients, it wasn't quite the yumness I'd anticipated.

Here's how we break it down for last night's cookin':

3/4 lb of ground beef - 2.60
1 green bell pepper - 0.68
1/2 red onion - 0.28
1 can of pinto beans - 0.77
1 can of diced tomatoes - .80
1 can of tomato soup - 0.54
1/2 lb of macaroni noodles - 0.43
sprinkling of cheeses - 0.50
dollops of sour cream - 0.50
corn - 0.00 (because I forgot to put it in!)
smattering of spices - ??

total cost (7.10 ) / total servings eaten (5) = $1.42 per serving

we also made a tossed salad:

1 head of lettuce - 0.99
1 tomato - 0.83
1 green bell pepper - 0.68
1/2 red onion - 0.28
croutons and dressing - ??

total cost = 2.78 (we both ate helpings last night, i've had two bowlfuls tonight, and there's about half left, so we're talking about 0.35 per serving!)

we also ate 2 tortillas each (4 x 0.9) = 0.36



So roughly, we each consumed about $1.95 worth of food last night. That's not too shabby!

The best part is that by having leftovers, I had an effortless lunch to take to work today, and there's no pots to wash tonight after dinner!

A few of my prices are best guesses, but I did pull out a bunch of receipts, so a lot is exact. (The beef cost seems high, but I'm not sure.) I didn't add tax, but a lot of the groceries were bought at Target where my discount cancels out the tax (plus some!). I also didn't add the cost for spices, croutons, and salad dressing because I didn't feel like putting for the effort, plus it would be fairly negligible (especially because of my discount).

No comments: