Friday, April 17, 2009

Thinking it through...

Since I still haven't discussed the Pantry Challenge with Mr Oh (we work opposite schedules and can go awhile without face-to-face discussions), I've been trying to think it through on my own.

People that inspire me:
  1. hungryforamonth - Very hardcore, but makes me realize how rarely I am actually hungry
  2. myyearwithoutspending - Wasting food is something we all do too much. Not only are we throwing out good food (or recently good food), we're throwing away money (which, sadly, is a bigger motivator for me).
  3. moneysavingmom.com - This lady is a crazy-money-saving-fool-to-the-extreme.
What scares me:
  1. I'm currently eating a salad that contains the brownest lettuce I've ever eaten.
  2. I might eat lunch meat that expires today (but was opened who knows how long ago??) AFTER today.
  3. Maybe I'm taking the saving money thing too far? It's honestly not so much that I want to put this extra $100 in the House Fund (because we'll be under budget in a couple other categories and will still be able to save the extra money), but I really think it would be fun to try this challenge.
Things that could make the next 13 days easier:
  1. We're eating out tomorrow night with my in-laws.
  2. We got a Chili's giftcard from my parents for Easter.
  3. We might have enough left on a TGIFriday's giftcard to eat there too.
  4. The neighbors will cook for the next two Mexican Mondays.
Meals/Dishes we can prepare from stuff in our kitchen:
  1. Gnocchi with ground beef and one of two sauces
  2. Salad (fresh lettuce is in the crisper)
  3. Goulash or Mexican Skillet
  4. Around 4 boxed meal things
  5. Pasta Salad
  6. Waffles (with peanut butter or frozen strawberries...or both??)
  7. RICE AND BEANS, BEANS AND RICE!
  8. Plenty of canned veggies (green beans) and frozen veggies (corn and broccoli)
  9. Potato salad (minus I don't have relish...hmm)
Things that we don't have that would be very nice to have:
  1. Bread (I thought Mr Oh bought it on Monday...but I can't find it)
  2. Flour tortillas (but we have corn)(and maybe the stuff to make flour ones?)
  3. Chicken (we only have two small frozen tenders)
  4. Fruit
If we had those four things, we could eat:
  1. Sandwiches! I live on peanut butter sandwiches for lunch (unless I take leftovers).
  2. Beans and rice, rice and beans with TORTILLAS!
  3. Chicken divan, chicken noodles, some chicken boxed dinner thing (or maybe two)
  4. Fruit :)
Okay. When I lay it all out, it seems so easy to do. I have a shirt I've been meaning to return to Target, so I could use that credit to buy a couple of the things we're lacking.

I'll still discuss this with the husband, of course, but I'm officially on board!

No comments: