Friday, August 13, 2010

PB Cookies

I really had planned on making a new recipe for lunch (even bought nutmeg for it), but my mother-in-law ended up coming for a quick visit and she brought yummy SmashBurgers to the house.

I ended up being alone for the evening (both Mr Oh and his brother are at work), and because the baby was sleeping so well in her swing, I decided to forgo my normal sandwich and use up some of our pantry staples. I made gnocchi with alfredo sauce and sweet Italian sausage. We had a green salad made up in the spinner and some leftover French bread from yesterday's lunch, so I had quite a decent meal.

Since I didn't get to make my recipe at lunch, I figured I'd use up some of the tons of peanut butter I found in our pantry (it all actually expires at the end of September), and make peanut butter cookies.

I've never made them from scratch before. I'm more of the buy-the-package-where-you-add-a-couple-things-and-go kind of girl, but this recipe didn't require much more time than that.

The recipe was the one on the back of my brown sugar bag:

1 cup light brown sugar, packed
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup butter, softened (I used margarine since that's what we had)
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda

1) Beat brown sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla and egg until fluffy. Beat in flour and baking soda on low speed.
2) Shape dough into 1 1/4 inch balls (I just used my small cookie dough scoop); place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten in crisscross pattern with tines of fork dropped in sugar. (Just realized as I was typing this I skipped the sugar part...oops!)
3) Bake at 375 degrees F for 6-9 minutes (for me it was almost 11) or until set. Cool on wire racks.

This made 30 cookies.

I didn't have Hershey kisses, but I did find 4 small pieces of a Hershey bar (leftover from a s'mores night)...



Maybe next time I'll try this recipe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cookies sound good, and look good...but I can't believe you used your oven today. It is hot, hot, hot!!