Sunday, November 1, 2009

Gnocchi

I did intend to make a new dish this past week, but in the end, I just had Mr Oh cook an old staple. :)

We decided to make lunch at my sister-in-law's house on Thursday afternoon. We were both off from work and thought it would be a good time to visit her, our niece, and our newest nephew. Mr Oh did most of the kitchen work while I played with the babies.

Wednesday night I looked through a couple of our poor, neglected cookbooks. I focused mostly on a Rachael Ray one, knowing that the meal could be quickly prepared. A couple recipes looked yummy, but none really jumped out at me as super delicious AND super easy, so we thought we'd make some gnocchi.

We buy our gnocchi at SuperTarget, but have seen it at a couple other big grocery stores. It's by the other packaged pasta. I'm a fan of the tri-color (potato, tomato, and spinach) purely for the colors sake, because I can't taste any difference when they're drenched in sauce. However, last time we stocked up, they only had potato gnocchi.

We used to make gnocchi exclusively with Italian sausage (I think because that's how Olive Garden serves it?), then we were once forced to use ground beef (due to lack of sausage and the result was just fine), and recently, Mr Oh switched it up with chicken. This past week was our second time to make gnocchi and chicken, and I believe both times we used a creamy Rose sauce (with an accent over the 'e'). Lemme tell you...sooo good. Normally gnocchi leftovers with a red sauce aren't so tasty. Yes, first time around, the dish is delicious, but after a reheat in the microwave the gnocchi is very gummy. The creamy chicken gnocchi is delicious fresh AND after a reheat.

We also made up a Caprese salad. Ours has three ingredients: mozzarella, tomatoes, and Tuscan bread. (Yep, no greens.)

I forgot to take any photos, but will do so next time we make it.

No comments: